Tomorrow is celebrated as Independence Day in the US. I asked myself: What comes before Independence? Tyranny, at least such is the perspective of the revolutionary fighting for independence, so Today's quotes relate to Tyranny and tyrants.
Kings will be tyrants from policy, when subject are rebels from principle.
– Edmund Burke, 1728 – 1797
I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
– Thomas Jefferson, 1743 – 1826
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
– William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham, 1708 – 1778
The harshest tyranny is that which acts under the protection of legality and the banner of justice.
– Charles de Secondat, baron de Montesquieu, 1689 – 1755
The main political problem is how to prevent the police power from becoming tyrannical. This is the meaning of all the struggles for liberty.
– Ludwig von Mises, 1881 – 1973
Tyranny cannot defeat the power of ideas.
– Helen Keller, 1880 – 1968